Manchester United are tracking Wissam Ben Yedder’s situation this summer, as the Monaco forward is looking likely to leave his club.
The Red and Whites are struggling financially – their squad is filled to the brim and following the abrupt ending of Ligue 1, the French side have failed to qualify for Europe for a second successive season.
In order to make up for such monetary shortfalls, the club are looking to sell as many as thirty players within their ranks. Ben Yedder is seen as their most valuable asset, and Monaco are keen to cash in. The forward arrived last summer for €30m, a fee they are confident of recuperating.
United’s reported interest (via ESPN) is somewhat inevitable, as Ole Gunnar Solskjaer has been looking for a ‘bargain’ but proven number nine, to add to his frontline options. Romelu Lukaku departed Old Trafford last season without a direct replacement coming in, leaving just Anthony Martial and 18-year-old Mason Greenwood at the manager’s disposal.
Both forwards are no doubt dangerous outlets in their own regard, but a middle figure in-between would help bolster the squad to compete across all fronts next season. Odion Ighalo is an obvious target, but Ben Yedder is almost a year younger than the Nigerian – a potential swaying point given that both players have similar asking prices.
The latter ended the season as joint-top scorer of Ligue 1, registering eighteen goals alongside the generational Kylian Mbappe. This is the eighth successive campaign that the 29-year-old has managed 15+ strikes across all competitions, having equally flourished for both Toulouse and Sevilla. The majority of his goals come inside the area, as he is a clinical poacher, who predominantly maintains a very high position inside the final third.
On paper, his profile fits exactly what Solskjaer’s squad is need of – a proven goalscorer who is ready to be called upon whenever necessary. Sound familiar? The Frenchman doesn’t boast the biggest ego and could well be content with such a role at United, particularly as he approaches the 30 mark.
- Paul Pogba Looks Set To Stay At Manchester UnitedThe coronavirus pandemic has hit football clubs hard. Virtually all revenue streams have come to a streaking halt and although the return of the game looks near, the last two months have […]
- Odion Ighalo’s Loan Extension Is JustifiedIt’s official – Odion Jude Ighalo’s loan deal has been extended and the first Nigerian ever to play for Manchester United will stay until January 2021, at the very least. The 30-year […]
- Barcelona Tried To Sign Marcus Rashford Last SummerMarcus Rashford and Barcelona were in contract talks last summer, according to Spanish publication Mundo Deportivo. The Englishman signed a new deal with Manchester United in July 2019 until 2023, with there […]
- Manchester United ‘Lead Race’ For Kai HavertzManchester United are leading the race for Kai Havertz, as reported by the Sun’s Alan Nixon. The Bayer Leverkusen midfielder had become one of the most prised assets in Europe, recently becoming […]
- A Look Into Manchester United Target Eduardo CamavingaManchester United are hopeful of beating Real Madrid to the signature of Eduardo Camavinga, as per The Metro. The Red Devils believe to have the upper hand in the deal, as they would […]