Mason Greenwood is no doubt a generational talent.
This season, the forward became the first teenager to reach ten goals for Manchester United since Norman Whiteside in 1984, adding to his existing individual records of becoming the youngest ever player to represent the club in both the Champions and Premier League.
Big things have always been expected of the Englishman, as revealed by former Red Devils’ coach Mark Senior. Speaking to Goal, the ex-United figure stated that the special talent was actually on the club’s radar as early as five-years-old.
He first caught the eye of scouts when he was kicking the ball on the side of a pitch, when he was unable to play due to his age. Greenwood wanted to represent his local team Idle Juniors, but had to wait until he turned six.
Senior has revealed that the moment the Englishman hit his sixth birthday, United would have eyes on him. Speaking about scouting the player as a child, he recounts one special story:
“As soon as he was six, we made sure we had someone to watch his first game. The team he was playing for had never won a game, and I am not sure they had even scored a goal. Then, Mason scored 16 on his debut and they won 16-1. A six-year-old made the local newspaper!”
Talk about an instant impact. It’s fair to say that the club’s scouts needed no more evidence that Greenwood would hold the potential to one day become a special player.
His goal-scoring instincts have certainly stayed with him, having officially registered fifty-six strikes for the club from the U18’s upwards. This season, the striker has adapted to life at senior level with a spring in his step, tormenting some of the Premier League’s most experienced defenders.
It appears the only way is up for the star-studded talent.
- Paul Pogba Looks Set To Stay At Manchester UnitedThe coronavirus pandemic has hit football clubs hard. Virtually all revenue streams have come to a streaking halt and although the return of the game looks […]
- Odion Ighalo’s Loan Extension Is JustifiedIt’s official – Odion Jude Ighalo’s loan deal has been extended and the first Nigerian ever to play for Manchester United will stay until January 2021, […]
- Barcelona Tried To Sign Marcus Rashford Last SummerMarcus Rashford and Barcelona were in contract talks last summer, according to Spanish publication Mundo Deportivo. The Englishman signed a new deal with Manchester United in […]
- Manchester United ‘Lead Race’ For Kai HavertzManchester United are leading the race for Kai Havertz, as reported by the Sun’s Alan Nixon. The Bayer Leverkusen midfielder had become one of the most […]
- A Look Into Manchester United Target Eduardo CamavingaManchester United are hopeful of beating Real Madrid to the signature of Eduardo Camavinga, as per The Metro. The Red Devils believe to have the upper hand […]